Sunday, February 8, 2009

I get lost, sometimes. Days pass and this emptiness fills my heart. - Peter Gabriel, In Your Eyes








At times something feels empty. I've been home and having a great time! I've put some new pictures up of some random get togethers. I just....I don't know. I miss how close everyone was in Kuwait. It was our small little world. Nothing outside it really mattered. Coming back to DC and Bethesda, you feel you get lost in the numbers.

Just the other day, I accidentally sent something to lab that I meant to send to blood bank. I called the lab as soon as I sent it and asked if they could just send it back to me so I could get it to the right place. We had a ton of people in the waiting room so I was really busy. The corpsmen were rude and refused to send it back. They told me I could come down and get it. I really should have asked to see their LPO, but I was so mad I was afraid I'd lose it. It just made me miss my corpsmen in Kuwait. We all helped each other out. We were a team. One group. Bethesda is all about getting ahead on your own. Now, I am going to miss a lot about this area. It's been great to get involved. I'm excited about going to BUMED, lunch with the Surgeon General on Thursday and our history project! I'm not going to have those opportunities in Jacksonville. I will have more sun though.

I really am not happy on my floor. How this all went down really hurt me. I can't believe I would volunteer to go on deployment and then they wouldn't even tell me I was going to a new floor or ask where I would want to go. Everyone here stays on their floor until they find an opening somewhere they want to go. I was the only person who ever wanted to stay on 5 center. Oh well. There must be a reason and I'll try and bloom where I'm put, but I even asked my dept head to keep me updated and that never happened.

I'll stop at that and let you check out these videos. There are 3. One from each year that I've gone snowboarding. Check out how much better I've gotten!



I could barely stay up the first day...



A little better on that one. The second year.



Look at me now! On an intermediate slope and all. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had some similar occurrences in our unit. We had a Marine who we wanted to get promoted. He had served well in Iraq, knew his stuff, and was a damned fine leader. We get back and there is a meritorious board.

We try and put him on it, but he hasn't taken his Basic Skills Test. Well of course he hasn't, he just got back from Iraq. Instead of just giving him the test and then putting him on the board to compete, he was denied. Instead, a Marine that had stayed behind (wasn't his fault, he had too) was put on the board and promoted. Why? Because the Marines that were running the board were the ones that had stayed behind due to orders, they knew this guy and wanted him promoted. They didn't care about our guy because they hadn't been with him. Even though we were all the same unit, when we got back, there was a lot of bickering between the two parts.

It worked out in the end, but there it is. You'll get the opportunity to experience that closeness and camaraderie again. Kuwait was just the first of several such experiences.