It's pretty funny because after my last post a new thing happened at work! Our clinical nurse specialist deployed to Afghanistan, and so they interviewed for her position on our floor. There were soooooo many things this nurse had on her "to do" list. I have no idea how the girl sleeps at night with such a long list. That's a whole other story....anywho.
I wasn't so sure I really wanted the position. None of us are clinical nurse specialists, but we would just take over some of the initiatives of hers. Well, I still don't feel I have enough ICU knowledge to try and take over the education portion of it or training. I inquired and asked about the job and then I was set up with an interview! I never quite said I wanted it....but oh well. I thought maybe this was a message.
I did the interview and 2 other nurses did as well. In the end, they selected all three of us to take over her job. They broke it up into what we are all strong with. I did end up with some training and education, but my big portion was Essentris.
Now, Essentris is our computer charting. We had it at Bethesda, so I used it for 3 years and did a ton of stuff with it. I love it. I love how easy it is to read on the computer vs. the freaking paper profiles and charts that are all highlighted over and pencil marked.
Well, Naval Hospital Jacksonville decided to "build it from the ground up", so they didn't take a program that was already working from a larger command. ::slaps my own forehead:: I have no idea who's brilliant idea that was, but it was probably way above my pay grade.
Anywho, so it's up and running, but there are SO many issues. Order sets aren't right. Notes are still missing words and pull downs aren't correct. Flowsheets don't carry over on other flowsheets. It's a mess. I am now the person in charge of this for the ICU. I've been working with our MID (computer/tech people office) office to fix a lot of this and also setting up training for our nurses to learn how to chart and be more efficient at using the program.
It's really changed my focus right now. Nursing Informatics. I am LOVING merging the computer side and the nursing side of things. Plus, it's going to be more and more in demand as the years go on.
I'm not sure if I want to get completely away from patients, so when it comes time to apply to DUINS (our graduate program), I will try and make my first choice CNS in Med/Surg with a certificate in nursing informatics and my second choice will be a full on master's in nursing informatics.
The University of San Diego has both of those programs on campus, so maybe after my next tour (hopefully in Japan), I can apply there.
Right now, there isn't a program in DUINS for informatics, but I emailed the CDR at Bethesda about it and he said he's going to be trying to get one this year! He seemed very serious about how the Navy needs a billet for it and a DUINS program and that he would like to set that up! I was excited after reading his email. I almost felt like this was starting to feel like a goal of mine.
I just need something to work towards. Some kind of goal! So, ahhh. I now have more stuff to work on at work (and boy do I!) and I have a new goal for my nursing career. I don't feel quite as lost anymore!
Other than that, things have been great! Cameron is working from home full time as a photographer and we LOVE it! I know he's feeling more stress now to be successful at it, but we get to spend so much time together! And I'm on nights right now! haha. He can be flexible with his time, since he'll sometimes shoot in the evening or on the weekend, so we get to make lunch together or spend time watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix.
Speaking of.....we started at episode 1 a few months ago and we're already up to the most recent season! We just finished last night....sigh. We can't seem to find another show that will replace it. We tried Breaking Bad. Not interesting for either of us. Watched 3/4 of an episode of Weeds and that drove me nuts....We then watched Sons of Anarchy. Cameron loves it, but I'm not too sure yet.
You know...even though Grey's characters slept with each other WAYYY too much (it almost seemed like family incest watching it fast), they at least always wanted to do the best for their patient. They were at least looking at ethical things and doing the right choice. So many shows are just trash and people hurt others and just commit crimes or don't parent well, etc.
I'm just not a fiction person. Books or tv. I think I liked Grey's because I could somewhat relate to the issues. Everything else just doesn't hold my interest.
Maybe more walks. Today we went for a walk and ended up in the rain! It was a hot and sticky rain though, so it was pretty gross. We just turned around to go back to our gym at the apartment. I LOVE our neighborhood. The park next to us. The riverwalk near by. Mossfire so close with delicious margaritas. Sigh. I don't want to leave this area of Jacksonville.
We got the saab tinted. Yay! I've put that off too long! It looks so much better and is so much cooler! It's unreal of the difference it makes. Next is to get a few door dings out of the side and new driver's seat, or all new seats for it.
The past few months have flown by since the wedding. I am so happy right now I sometimes don't believe it. I still wonder how such a great man exists. I never get tired of hanging out with him. <3
No comments:
Post a Comment