Friday, May 25, 2012

My hardened eyes see only shades of gray. - Biohazard, Shades of Gray


What do you think of when you find a gray hair on your head? The normal response is one of fear, disgust and thoughts of aging. The first few ones you find, you may grab the tweezers and yank them out as fast as you can.

I believe I found my first ones on my head during my sophomore year of college. There were times, I would have my friend Courtney sit there with tweezers and pull them all out as they began to multiply on my head. Then, there was the day she did this and then stopped. Put down the tweezers and told me there were just too many.

What?? POOOOOORRR QUUUEEE????

Sigh. It was a done deal. I had "gray hair". I called my mom soon after that and she told me about how she had gone gray at a young age as well. The next time I drove home from college she looked at my head and then said, "oh, it wasn't THAT bad...".

What?? Por queeee?

I hadn't even gotten into nursing school. I wasn't even 21. I couldn't drink, but I had gray hair?

I began to color my hair. Then, sometime did highlights. They made it harder to see the gray when it grew in, but it was just too expensive for a college student. Plus, my hair grows so fast, I had to get it done every month!

I eventually got in the habit of going every month to the hair salon. The most recent place in Jacksonville, my hair stylist, Sarah, told me that I was about 50-60% gray.

What? Oh, whatever. I'm past the shocked point now.

She was awesome and got me all the supplies and hair color (from Italy) to take with me to Japan, since I didn't know where I was going to go when I first got here. She even had a lesson and showed Cameron how to do it. :) I've done it here in Japan on my own 3 times now. Having a big shower room with a mirror definitely helps. It has a mirror and I can do the color and spray it off the floor if I make a mess.

No one believes me when I tell them how gray my hair is until I let it grow some and then show them. I wish people would just believe me when I tell them. haha.


Some make gray hair out there look goooood.



Or white. Why do guys look so good with gray?

Maybe I should just color ALL of it gray at a young age?

Or cut it super short and let it do its thing?
Hard to see with the light, but there's about 1 inch of grey at the root.

There it is...


Or, just let myself go and end up looking like the way I think I will look in my head...

I won't go into how I have discovered gray random hairs in other areas, but let's just say there is no use. It's here. Until they discover a way to alter the hair at the root, I'll just keep on coloring. 

I have a theory since my heart rate generally stays around 90-112 or so, that maybe I'm just aging twice as fast as people with a heart rate of 60. At this rate, I'll go through menopause by the age of 35. 

I'm going to be 28 on Sunday. My name is Candice and I have gray hair. It's just something I have to come to terms with and accept. Things could be worse. I could be losing my hair.

No comments: