There are labs here in Japan, but usually the scans are really small and it's hard to communicate what you want, so Cameron just sent them all back to the labs in the states he trusts. He can develop B&W ones here at the house, but without a real dark room, he doesn't want to mess with the color.
They arrived the other day and I was so happy to see that they turned out nice! I was shooting on a Mamiya C330 (medium format camera) with Velvia 50 film (slide film). I'm still learning a lot and Cameron kept saying slide film is hard to shoot. I was nervous. There were a few that didn't turn out because we didn't meter the camera correctly for the light, but most of them were perfect right out of the camera!
Cameron wrote a blog on the Film Shooters Collective about service he received at a camera repair shop here in Japan, and you can see lots of nice shots of the Mamiya. I have taken it as "mine". hehehe.
I could still do a little bit in lightroom, like straighten the photo, etc. I haven't figured out how to take a straight shot looking down into this little camera. haha.
A couple of the photos (the ones not square), I accidentally edited in lightroom and saved as my own, but they were shot on Cameron's Fuji 645, also a medium format, but auto focus camera.
The trip was good for me to try out new stuff with photos. I'm learning a lot! I never knew anything about photography before. It's not easy! The Mamiya is pretty cool to shoot with, but it's very heavy!
There is really good and bad about both film and digital. They both have a time and place where they can excel. Going on a long trip I may not take the Mamiya again (just because of the weight), but for short trips, maybe I will.
Without further adieu, here my film scans!
![]() |
| Angkor Wat |
Now, granted. We only took a point and shoot digital camera and yes, there is a big difference in all the different digital cameras, but I was still blown away by the film.
Interesting learning trip. :D
I'd love to shoot the Velvia 50 with Cherry Blossoms right now, but the sky lately has been overcast... :( As soon as a sunny day comes, I'm running out with the camera!



























1 comment:
Thanks for posting those photos, Candi. Even though I'm not a photographer, I think they're great and I'm looking forward to seeing cherry blossom photos if you get a chance to take some.
Post a Comment