My events of working Saturday, 29MAR08:
0445: alarm goes off....Patton licks the mini blinds. I spray him with the water bottle, hit the snooze button, and try and roll over. patton continues to lick the mini blinds. I throw a pillow at him.
0450: Eventually just get up because I realize I won't be able to get much more sleep.
0500: shower and cup of coffee
0530: eat breakfast in front of tv
0545: leave for work
0610: get up on my floor and get my uniform ready in the locker room
06:20: go meet up with the night charge and think about assignments (but, I have a nurse who's on charge nurse orientation...so i'll let her do the assignments)
0630: help the orientee hear report from the night charge, mark off the code cart, do narc checks, and make sure all the nurses and corpsman are getting together and preparing for report
0700-0900: watch the orientee put in a few orders, check on a couple patients, check on staff, sit around.....surf ebay......contemplate calling tanya on 5 east and prank calling her....
1000: go over to 5 west and see brit who's also working
1015: go over to 5 east and see tanya who's also working
1100: sit on the counter and swing my legs and then look over and catch eye's with ADM Mike Mullen! (he's the former CNO and now the Chairman of the JCS--the joint chiefs of staff!) I jump off the counter and look at everyone at the nurses station to get up! I was NOT NOT NOT told about this visit! The nurses station looked messy, I had been SITTING on the counter in my uniform (thank God I wasn't stuffing my face like I normally am...), and didn't really call attention on deck. He's pretty laid back, so he was very pleasant, but I was the most senior person at work that morning and I felt like such a dope! Normally, they tell you about important visits like that and usually they don't come on a Saturday! When he turned, I swatted HN Walling (she used to work on our floor and was now escorting the Admiral) and said "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME HE WAS COMING???" Apparently, she had told one of our corpsman and they didn't realize the importance....sheesh. So, now I have two of his coins! :) Anyway, this mess all calms down and I go back to sitting around....
1300: go with tanya down to the ICU to see LTJG Chromiak! (i haven't seen her since she got back from Kuwait)
1430: talk on the phone with my mom and tape up my fingers with medical tape
1500: go see tanya on 5 east again and help her with training records. she demands I take the tape off my fingers since the tips are indeed purple...
1600: i don't remember what i was doing here. probably sending tons of text messages
1700: educate the corpsmen about oxygen devices and quiz them on situations
1730: educate the nurses on the zoll defibrillator and quiz them on situations
1800: teach the orientee on how to use standard orders on the computer
1810: go get water and beat my head on the machine.....time is passing too slowly. i want something to do.....
1830: bitch about having to be at work
1835: talk about how I can't wait for ens brown to get there....
1840: ens brown gets there and says I can go! :)
Then, I ran home and got ready and headed to Georgetown for the night with friends. Good times. We were only down to a single digit census, so I had nothing to do. I probably could have left the orientee, but there was a situation she was afraid I might need to be there for (I would have been scared too if I were on orientation) so she felt better if I stayed, but she knew how to do a lot of the charge nurse duties.
Yesterday, I got to go see the cherry blossoms and paddleboat around the tidal basin after church! See the pics on facebook.
Today, I got special lib. Thank God. I haven't had it since last summer and I have been SOO tired, so I came home and slept some more. This afternoon I saw Stop-Loss. That would be a whole other entry. There's no black and white to war. That's all I will say about it now.
Now, thinking about heading to Kuwait this summer and long term plans for my navy career. It's a fine navy day!
No comments:
Post a Comment