Tuesday, April 15, 2008

We know a place where we are free, we throw our suits into the sea. - B-52s, Theme From A Nude Beach

Okay, so this whole time I knew that if I wanted to go overseas next and then apply for the grad school program and attend school on the west coast, that I should head to Japan. This would be much easier for me to attain school on the west coast.

I thought that I wanted to go to Yokosuka, which is the Naval base closer to Tokyo. I emailed my detailer (the guy who will help me get placed for my next duty station) and told him my plan and where I would want to go next. He said it was a great plan, but that I might do better at Okinawa or Guam because they're larger hospitals. I didn't know that. It surprised me. Well, I thought pfff Okinawa? No, silly marines are always acting up over there and they put the base on lock down a TON, plus the people that live there are usually sick of us being there (even though they need us for their economy).

Then, I thought. Guam....pfffff....where is guam and what is really there? A tiny little island of nothing.....UNTIL I STARTED SURFING THE WEB ON IT!

FORGET JAPAN! I WANT GUAM!

It's beautiful! It's a teeny, tiny little island that the US owns and is mostly occupied by the military. It's like our own little island! Amazing beaches, the best diving in the world, blue water, white sand, lots of recreation outside. It's a tropical paradise. It would be like I was on vacation for 2 years. I've heard from a few of my higher ranking officers that their favorite duty station was Guam, but I just put it aside. Now I see why! Look at this:



Um, yeah. That's got to be my next duty station. Even better...the detailer is AWESOME and said he can probably correlate my PCS-ing to my next duty station in May or June of 2009 instead of my PRD date of Sept 2009. That would be a huge favor because I'm wanting to apply for the grad school program for the navy and that means, I would have to be ready to leave for school around the summertime, in July, so I would have to already be at my next duty station by June of 2009 to go to the following duty station (wherever I end up going for school) in July 2011. This is pretty sweet.

So, Kuwait: June 2008-January 2009
Back to DC: January 2009-May 2009
Guam: June 2009-July 2011
DUINS (grad school): either San Diego or Seattle: July 2011

Now, of course, all this being said....I have plenty of time to change my mind as you all see I do on a weekly, or daily basis. I also have to pray about this a lot. I really want to make sure I'm going to end up doing what God wants for my life, not my own choices. If he ends up wanting to send me to Okinawa, so be it. I will have a wonderful time there too. In the end, all of the navy bases have amazing things to do. It's just all so exciting. The detailer said to keep my contact info and write him when September of this year comes up and we'll start working on my next duty station.

Seriously....http://www.guam-online.com/military/military.htm

No comments: