I know I need to write about the cruise, but I'll get to that some day. haha. It was great. That's the main thing!
Today, I'm just proud of myself. I scouted my winn dixie ad, printed coupons from my computer and planned my attack! With my winn dixie card and my coupons and ad purchases, I saved $28.50! Plus, I'm now up to 30 cents off/gallon of gas on my fuel perks card! I have about 1/8 of a tank left and I'm going to get to the E and then fill up before the end of the month hits. Thirty cents off each gallon?! Seriously. Awesome.
I also used my fabric grocery bags. I know that I still have a lonnnng way to go on becoming more eco friendly, but I'm making small steps. It's really hard to do and I'm slowly learning what to look for. Today, I bought Seventh Generation (http://www.seventhgeneration.com/seventh-generation-mission They have coupons on their site) natrual fabric softeners. it's a company that makes organic and eco friendly items for your home. Ten percent of their profits go to organizations working for positive change. That's awesome. Little fact on the back and this amazed me "If every household in the U.S. replaced just one box of polyester fabric softener sheets with [their] paper sheets, and recycled or composted after use, we could prevent 6,000 tons of solid waste from entering our landfills, equivalent to 640 garbage trucks!" Holy crapanoli.
Everyone think about that every time you throw a dryer sheet into your laundry.
Recently, Kleenex came out with a hand towel product for your bathroom at home. (http://www.kleenex.com/HandTowels/home.aspx) It's supposed to replace a fabric hand towel to reduce germs. This upset me. If you wash your hands and then dry them with the towel, you're not really adding germs to the towel. Why create a product that is only going to create more waste? Well, I know why they did. Money. You will buy more of their product. It doesn't make sense. What we should do is all install those jet hand dryers in our homes if you're worried about germs. (http://www.electrichanddryers.com/automatichanddryers.htm) You can even get the kind you put your hands in and it doesn't blow germs around. The new ones dry your hands in a few seconds! Have any of you seen them at amusement parks, etc? They're awesome. If I bought a home, I'd try and install one.
Apparently, I'm not the only one that thinks these options of wasteful products are ridiculous. http://www.thegoodhuman.com/2010/04/20/3-wasteful-products-and-their-eco-alternatives/
I'm trying to buy more natural beauty items, like the lotion my sister gave me. It's a body lotion made in Hawaii that is all natural items like oils, etc. It's great stuff.
Again, I still have a long way to go and if anyone has any small tips for me, I'd love to hear them!
Thanks to haunting images of caged chickens (which made me start crying my eyes out), I ALWAYS look for "cage free" on my eggs.
I wish I lived in a house sometimes because it would be so much easier to recycle and I could have a compost pile in the back. I think when my lease is up in September, I'm going to look at renting a house. I still don't want to buy, but I'd love to have the yard. :) Tiki parties!
Okay, kids. That's my soap box for today! Look at coupons and deals online! Use fabric shopping bags! Try and look for organic and natural products and ways to reduce the amount of trash we make.
Just like Christians say that our body is the temple of Christ, this planet was a gift from God and we should honor that by treating it right. Our wildlife, trees, plants, ocean life all deserve that from us.
6 comments:
I just don't use fabric softeners... Hell... I don't even take showers... Saves water!!!
you're doing an outstanding job. I have gotten to where I hate to throw even the smallest cardboard containers, like the boxes from cream cheese or butter into the trash. I need to remember my fabric shopping bags more though and I'm working on it.
I think people could use the same concept for drinking water. STop buying plastic bottles of water and get a filter for your faucet. It's probably healthier than the bottled water anyway. And the bottles wouldn't get thrown into the trash. Unless they recycle them, which many people don't do. I'm sure there are more ways we can all use to stop adding more to our growing trash dumps.
Every little cardboard, glass product or plastic thing gets put in the recycle bin. It's a pain sometimes but I try really hard. We replaced every light bulb in our house with the energy efficient ones. Umm. . . we were just given disposable bibs as a gift and I thought that was great. lol. Whoops! Annie tried to completely stop using paper towels and just use cloth towels for spills, etc. That lasted only about a week because she has two kids but I could see it working for you!
They also have made new reusable diapers. Now, I'm not sure where I stand on that one....but it's interesting. I had a friend at Bethesda who used them with their son and they loved them. http://www.fuzzibunz.com/
You are probably doing better than me. They got rid of our recycling bins at my complex and the recycling center on base is VERY picky on what they will take. (basically nothing) I need to contact the city and see how I can recycle better.
Oooh, I don't recycle paper. I'll only recycle metals. Recycling paper uses a crap ton of water and a lot of harsh chemicals. Best to just let it decompose, grow more trees, harvest them, turn them into paper again.
Yeah, our recycle people won't take wood. I think that would be a great thing to recycle but I guess it's a fire hazard? I'm not really sure.
I have had several friends try cloth diapers. Most went back to convenience but I guess it's the effort that counts.
Post a Comment