Saturday, August 21, 2010

“He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors” Thomas Jefferson

How to exactly portray my thoughts today.....hmm. That's what seems to be bothering me right now.

Basically. I'm so sad that our country is so torn apart. This is not a political comment. Not a religious one. Not one that is blaming a person, party, group of individuals. It's just an overall sadness.

I started having a discussion with my parents the other day and like we always do, we have to agree to disagree. I tell my father he watched too much Glen Beck and we move on. Haha. (in all honesty, I love that man when he's talking pure history...very interesting...just don't like listening to anyone when they start talking politics) Anyway...it had to do with religion and politics. I believe it's hard to have one without the other, but I do believe some times that one should not force one on the other. It's hard to explain what I mean.

On another side note...I feel we sometimes glamorize the founding fathers by making it seem they are perfect, without error and only cared about the country....because I promise you this...they were still politicians. These were men, who if you read up on them, were not all faithful husbands, honest and wanted Christianity to guide the founding of our country. (I suggest a book entitled "American Gospel: God, The Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation") That's all just a side comment.

I basically wanted my dad to sit back and realize the world is not ending tomorrow. All of these problems that are occurring right now have been there in the past. Racial issues? YES. Sexual orientation issues? YES. Murder? Yes. Poverty? Yes. Famine? Yes. Evil rulers and governments? Yes. Christians being persecuted? Yes.
In fact, you can find a Biblical story that nearly mirrors similar problems facing our world today. There isn't anything new about these issues. They won't be fixed either. We don't live in the Garden of Eden. That ended a LONG time ago. We live in a world full of sin and hatred. It's awful, yes. I wish there was a magical way to make it all stop and have world peace. It's something to strive for, but in the end, it just will not happen. That's sad, but true.

I stick strong to the belief that history has a wave to it. As a country for a decade or two, we will be a strong, prosperous, positive unit...and then there will be a dark time where we are weak, failing, negative one. Right now, I believe we are in a dark time.

I don't lose my happiness over it. I believe some day we will rise again as a great unit who work together and love one another. Maybe I'm a romantic for our country. Maybe it will never happen, but I think in my heart we will some day.

We need something to bring us together. If anything, turn off the news. Forget CNN, Fox News, MSNBC. The only news that sells that anyone cares about is negative news. If that is all you keep looking for, then that will be your outlook on life. Instead, check out www.happynews.com. It will still show you what is happening in the world, but will put you on the right track to think positively.

Focus on what you can achieve. Love. That is something that each of us can do and whether or not it makes an impact on a nation or our world, it can make a difference in one person at at time. Quit looking for someone to blame. Quit looking for a reason to hate or worry or fear the future. It has to be an active decision.

And a special note for fellow Christians: We especially need not worry. When you worry and question, you are doubting God's power. If you are angry about something that someone is doing that is wrong. Let it go. Justice does come, so why should you carry that burden of being angry? As I reminded someone recently....Jesus walked the earth when Christians were being persecuted. Did you see him storming up anger and hatred about it? No. He knew in the end that God would continue to be a just God and there was no good in growing angry and bitter. SO, when this world seems evil and sad, stop and pray to let that bitterness go. Being one of God's children, what do you have to worry about? You have eternity in Heaven to look forward to and nothing here on earth can take that away.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

AMEN, SISTER! I totally agree. There was a great article in the Wall Street Journal a while back about the founding fathers and how much they HATED each other! They said awful things about one another and there are quotes to prove it. They weren't all knowing but they had great ideas. I hold fast to the "it will all work out" theory.