Thursday, August 23, 2012
If you think you're better off in a different country, why don't you pack your bags right now. Here's your ticket, it's on me. - Metal Church, The Final Word
What's in my bag??
Living in Japan, you will walk a LOT. We have about a 15-20 min walk to the train and then when you get to where you are going, you will walk more. After several trips of thinking, "Darn, I wish I had _____" or "MAN! I forgot my _____!", I have gotten really good at packing my bag for a day trip.
Essentials with exploring in Japan in summer:
*First, a good bag. I am obsessed with using shoulder bags instead of regular purses. It leaves my hands free and doesn't irritate me from falling off.
*Next, obviously, my wallet. Full of yen! Everything here is done in cash and not every ATM will accept our cards, so always make sure to have lots of yen on you for eating, train, etc.
Also, make sure you have change to get frequent cold drinks from all the vending machines.
*Next, cell phone fully charged. You will need it for translation, price conversions, maps, etc.
*Fan and sweat rag for the summer. Foldable fans really are useful here. It gets so humid! Maybe the temps aren't high, but the humidity is nasty. Fans are a small way of making yourself comfortable here. The sweat rag is necessary because you will sweat a lot and using your sweaty arm to wipe your sweaty forehead just doesn't cut it. (mine has a cat on a bicycle on it. So cute. )
*Neckerchief! You can buy them here that you hold under cold water and they puff up and stay cool around your neck. Very nice on nasty hot days.
*Keys, duh.
*Chap stick!
*Band aids, moleskin or blister bandages. I've had too many from walking around here. It doesn't matter the shoes....I will get blisters somewhere!
*Sunglasses. I can't live without them.
*Hand sanitizer. Most bathrooms are disgusting and many don't have soap! Plus, the trains are just germ tubes....use hand sanitizer or you will regret it. Cameron still wears his masks every time he rides the train to not get sick.
*Napkins. They hand these out on the street as advertizements and you should keep them. Some bathrooms may not have toilet paper or towels to dry your hands. Have tissue.
*Gum. You will be closely packed in on the train at times and you just don't want stinky breath. :D
*Hair ties and bobby pins. I will get a shower and fix myself up and within 10 min of being outside, I usually pull my hair up because I'm sweating too much and it's sticking to my neck. I always have to have them.
So, that's how I survive in Japan. I need to make a checklist by the door because it sucks when you're out and forget something!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment