Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dreams die hard and we watch them erode, but we cannot be denied the fire inside. - Bob Seger, The Fire Inside


THE Yoshida Fire Festival or “Yoshida no Himatsuri” is held every year on August 26th to appease the goddess of Mt. Fuji and to keep the volcano from erupting for another year. Yoshida no Himatsuri also serves as the closing ceremony of the Fuji climbing season. For this lively two day festival, named one of Japan’s three most unique festivals and celebrated for over 500 years, the entire community comes out to watch the burning of large “taimatsu” torches and the parade of two large Omikoshi (portableshrines) through the streets. The Fire Festival is one of Fujiyoshida’s most prized cultural possessions, and this year’s festival promises to live up to its reputation.
 That was taken from Fujiyoshida's official page about the festival. Cameron and I saw a flyer for this while we were at the ITT office trying to book our tickets for MotoGP. It sounded pretty cool and the idea of riding in the ITT trip was so that we could drink and travel without having to worry about planning it ourselves.

It ended up being a pretty cool experience later in the evening. If we go again, I'll want to go and stay for both days so we can stay out late. Our bus had to leave the festival at 8:30pm, right when it was getting fun....


MT Fuji from the city area where the festival has always taken place.

My grapes I ended up buying...I got suckered into it by a girl dressed up as a bunch of grapes

800 yen grapes!!! That's $10 for a small bunch of grapes...they are good....but I felt bad and bought them anyway. haha.

Some of the torches they were going to use that night.

The Fuji Sengen Shrine, where the festival started

Fuji Sengen Shrine

Fuji Sengen Shrine prayer cards

Fuji Sengen Shrine

Fuji Sengen Shrine

Fuji Sengen Shrine. This spot was where they housed the portable shrines, or Omikoshi. They had already taken them out at this point.

I loved his had thing in the back!

I am not impressed. I'm not sure what i was making the face about. haha

LOOK at all the cameras!!! It was crazy!

I wonder if anyone just goes somewhere and experiences things anymore besides focusing on taking photos....I know...I was doing the same thing. :P


Omikoshi being moved



Not sure what these stones symbolize or if they are headstones or what. The symbol on it that most people think of Nazi Germany symbolize Shrines here in Japan. Don't be alarmed.


Fuji Sengen Shrine

Fuji Sengen Shrine

Fuji Sengen Shrine

Fuji Sengen Shrine

The other portable shrine made to look like Mt Fuji. Apparently it weighs a ton and has to be carried by a lot of men. They are apparently sponsored teams for the event and wear colored clothes and almost look like separate teams.

Fuji Sengen Shrine

Fuji Sengen Shrine

You can see that group of men all wearing the same top? they were some that helped carry the portable shrines.

Along the path leading up to the shrine

When it became dusk, they put candles in all of these all along the path. it was really cool

So cute

ready to find the chu hai stand! we had trouble finding some at first!
Lighting of the torches. They had these big ones all along the main street with smaller stacks of wood in between.


On one of the back roads. Here, they had small bundles of wood on the ground on fire.

These were the stacks in between the large torches. VERY HOT and so many people walking up and down, you would swear some of your hair was burned off just walking by. Surprisingly, no fires have ever gotten out of control. They can party with alcohol and fire and not set the city on fire. NEVER would happen safely in the US. :(

Torch

The BEST part....we had trouble finding vegetarian food, like always in Japan, but we found these! They are whole potatoes, spiraled on a stick and deep fried. So good, I went back for a second!

Seriously. Amazing. Better than any fair food I've had. :D


The bus didn't get back until 12:45 am and I didn't get to sleep until after 1am and up for work at 5am, but it was still an awesome experience when I look back at it. Again, I want to go again and stay a few days next year. Maybe climb Mt. Fuji on the 25th and stay to party on the 26th and 27th. Anyone game to come join us???

No comments: