Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Let me wander in your garden, and seeds of love I'll sow. - Led Zeppelin, Houses Of The Holy

It has been a long time since I have written. Being on night shift, I just didn't have the energy to go out and explore after I got off in the morning. I'm back on day shifts and I feel like a totally renewed person. I am ready to get out and see more of Japan. 

It can be quite expensive to travel over here, so we are looking at things close by and thinking about backpacking and using hostels if we go to other countries to keep down cost. 

Using my Frommer's guide that was a recommendation from a friend, I found a list of gardens to see in Japan. One of them sounded interesting and was located in Yokohama, not too far from us. 

We headed out on the train in the heat, planned on being covered in sweat. I have a system down now so that I am not miserable and whiny, but I'll save that for another blog entry. 
Waiting for the train at our stop by our house

It's coming! yay!
We took the train to Yokohama and then walked about 30 min to the garden. I'll copy what they say in the flyer about the garden:


About Sankeien Garden. Sankeien Garden is a spacious Japanese garden created by Sankei (born as Tomitaro) Hara, a successful Yokohama businessman who had built a fortune thorugh his silk business.  The garden is approximately 175,000 m2 in space and is located on land facing Tokyo Bay.  The construction started in 1902 and took 20 years to complete. Sankeien is comprised of 2 gardens: the outer garden that became open to the public in 1906 and the inner garden that was for Sankei's private use.  Being in perfect harmony with the 17 historic architectural properties (temples or buildings associated with historical figures, etc.) gathered from areaas such as Kyoto and Kamakura, the garden provides delightful scenery that changes according to the season.  Sankei was also known for his contacts with artists and literary figures.  Sankeien Garden served as a place to develop modern Japanese culture including art, literature and Chanoyu (or the tea ceremony ritual).

I can't cover all of the history, but it's pretty amazing. Many of the structures were built in years such as 1457, 1634, 1603, 1623, 1649, etc. It's amazing to me. HUNDREDS of years. When visiting the US, you just don't see many things that existed that long ago still kept so nice.
I thought these stairs were awesome! This was after we saw a random path up in the trees when we first walked in. Walked all the way to the top and saw a clearing and then these stairs.

Kakushokaku. Built in 1902 during Meiji Era. This was built by Sankei as his home.  It is known that many cultural and political figures with whom Sankei was acquainted paid visits.

Panoramic shot of the main pond. You can see the Kanshinbashi Bridge on left, Kankatei Arbor in middle.

Three story pagoda of Old Tomyji at the top there. Built in 1457 and moved in 1914!


Lily pads. I'm sure in the spring, this is beautiful!

Found this in the Kankatei Arbor. The brooms the little old ladies use here look like witch's brooms. All dry and straw like. Weird.

They actually use them though! Even in front of modern homes you will see women using brooms like this out on the sidewalk.


The fish would freak when we would stop on the bridge. I'm sure everyone feeds them! Dozens of them would come up and open their mouths. Hungry!


Main Hall of Old Tomyoji. Built in 1457 during Muromachi Period and moved in 1987 during Showa Era.  Just like the Three-story pagoda, this building was moved from Tomyoji of Kyoto Prefecture.




Buddhist Sanctum of Old Tokeiji. Built in 1634 during Edo Period and moved in 1907 during Meiji Era. This Zen Buddhist sanctum used to be located at Tokeiji, a temple in Kamakura famous for providing refuge to women seeking release from marriage. Didn't need to stick around that place. ;)

More cool stairs up and down the hills.


The three-story pagoda, built in 1457. It used to be a Tomyoji, an abandoned temple in Kizugawa City of Kyoto Prefecture. It is currently the oldest wooden pagoda in the Kanto Region!





Looking out of the Shofukaku Observatory. they had some vending machines and an open area you could sit and cool off. I just looked out at Tokyo Bay and imagined what it looked like when all of that industrialization wasn't there....

Not sure what these ruins were from.









Rinshunkaku. Built in 1649 during Edo Period and moved in 1917 during Taisho Era. This villa was built by Yorinobu, the first feudal lord of the Kishu Tokugawa clan (aka the son of the first shogunate of Edo Period, leyasu Tokugawa) in Wakayama Prefecture along Kinokawa River.  The interior is decorated with much  sophistication as seen in the ink painting done on the sliding doors and walls. Pictures just don't give this area justice.




Cameron took a lot of great photos, but I had to cut it down to my top favorites. The Rinshunkaku area of the gardens were beautiful! You could walk up behind those buildings and there were small bridges and little buildings. It was so magical.

I'd love to go back in the spring when everything is blooming. I just love the Japanese Gardens. I think they are some of my favorite things to see!

Hope to update sooner, but at least it's a little to look over. :D

No comments: