If you are only here in country for 6-8 months, your R&R is spent in Qatar. Doesn't sound that exciting, but just getting away from work and stress is amazing. I got very lucky and got to go with a group of officers that was so much fun. It's a long trip out there. Lots of bumpy bus rides to and from the air strips and a military flight, but SO worth it. We laid by the pool, ate at some fun restaurants, got to tour Doha, Qatar and learn more about their culture, drink some beers, watch football (including Navy dominating Army!), play games, lay around in the "pillow room" and watch movies, etc.
The time was just simply awesome. I feel totally refreshed. I had been wound up so tight before I left. Now, I don't feel stressed at all. All that weight has been lifted off of me. Only about a month to go and I feel so much better.
This shows just how the good outweighs the bad in the military. Where else would I get a free vacation to hang out with some really great friends?? This kinda stuff is what the navy is about. I hope that some day I can get on a ship and do stuff like this at all the port calls. I'm going to miss these people so bad. The good news, I will probably see them all again at future commands, deployments, training, etc. And, you make friends all over, so when I move down to jax, I can stop in Portsmouth and see my friends there and in North Carolina and see people there....I love it. :)
2 comments:
Those pictures are great! Those guys actually got some good smoke on those hookahs. I'm proud of them :)
Alright, alright... you don't have to convince me anymore about the Navy. I got it :) hehe
Oh yes, Qatar, how drole. I myself am thinking of taking a road trip to Levelland or perhaps Kermit. With the multitude of sophisticated and exotic destinations, one can easily have much more exciting trips than Qatar any day of the week... Don't worry dear Candice, we shall be sipping our Bud Lites and smoking our Marlboros extra jus' fer you ;)
SOOOO jealous!!! Especially that you got to see the 'finger trap' building in person!!! "Doesn't sound exciting" p-shaw! Plano is not exciting, Lubbock is not exciting (except for UT weekend), Qatar though, THAT is exciting!
Post a Comment