Congratulations! You have sponsored Bontu from Ethiopia
Bontu lives with her parents, 3 brothers, and 3 sisters. Her parents struggle to provide for the family. Her father is a farmer and her mother is a housewife. Despite their efforts, it is difficult to meet the family's needs.
Bontu and her family live in a community severely affected by the HIV and AIDS crisis. In some communities, AIDS affects the entire social structure as a generation of hardworking adults is being wiped out. Frightened children and exhausted grandparents rarely have money for food, school, or medical care. Through sponsorship, you can help with these and other basic needs for Bontu and her family.
Bontu is in primary school and she enjoys studying the native language. She helps at home by carrying water. She likes to play soccer. She is in satisfactory health.
Your sponsorship commitment will help provide Bontu and her community with the assistance they need to save a generation from the HIV and AIDS crisis. World Vision will faithfully use your sponsorship support of Bontu to meet her needs and minimize the impact of AIDS in her community through tangible prevention and care programs. You are an answer to prayer, helping children and families gain access to basic needs and learn about God's unconditional love.
Bontu was born on May 27th, 2001. That day, I was sitting in a long graduation ceremony for the AHS graduating class of 2001. I was playing in orchestra that day. I never imagined that 9 years later I would sponsor a little girl who was born that day. I couldn't even imagine 5 hrs in the future at that point!
I chose a little girl who has the same birthday as me. I think it will be awesome to know she and I share the same special day! This is also something silly, but I chose Ethiopia because in the Bible there was a "Candace" who was Queen of the Ethiopians. In doing some research, Ethiopia had a string of Queens named Candice (http://www.gospelgazette.com/gazette/2001/dec/page2.htm) and they were all female warriors. (My parents really chose a perfect name for me) I wanted to choose a girl that had ties to me. In whatever weird way.
I'll have to show a picture once I get a copy. I can't copy the picture from the website for security reasons. I am so excited. The amount they need per month is nothing. I can't wait to send her presents, cards and letters.
For a long time I thought about sponsorship and tonight I was watching "God Grew Tired of Us" and I cried. Some people are born all over the world in horrible conditions and don't even know if they can eat that day. I had come home and looked all in my kitchen at all my food and sighed and told my friend on the phone "man...I don't have anything to eat". That was a complete lie and how dare I even say that. God blessed me beyond imagination by giving me to my parents, in an amazing country (and state. hehe) and I don't know why I would have deserved that over some of these others that are less fortunate.
I may never understand the unfairness of life, but my heart is open. I want to do more. Times like these I want to resign my commissioning and join the Peace Corps to treat children in 3rd world countries. Maybe one of these days I will shock you all with some strange news....
Anyway, I had a friend in DC that worked at World Vision, who now is doing amazing things in Kenya, and she testified to the heart behind the organization. If you can spare, seriously.... $35 a month. $35 a month! That's 8 trips to Starbucks a month. You can feed a child. We walk in a grocery store floor to ceiling with food. They don't know when their next meal will come. We have to help.
www.worldvision.org
No comments:
Post a Comment