Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Violent, frustrations, he cries ot to God, or just no one. - The Used, Poetic Tragedy

Ah. Day 2.
1st lesson: Whenever you get something done in medical...make SURE you get it in writing. While going through the predeployment process at Bethesda, whenever I didn't have anything in my record, that person would just pull it up on the computer and check it off my list. I thought they would do that here. Nope. I just had to redo most of the stuff I did for predeployment before I left to come to california. Suck.
2nd lesson: Once you wake up and get out of bed, keep running around and looking busy. I came back into our room this morning and Senior Chief caught me and this is how that went....

Senior: Hey, there Ensign. How are you this morning?
Me: (thinking) I already don't like how this conversation is going....
I'm....doing alright. (I should have said my dog just died, family member was diagnosed with cancer and I was broken up with)
Senior: Well, I just found out we have a new leadership position that opened up...
Me: (I REALLY don't like how this conversation is going)
Senior: Are you good at excel?
Me: I'm...good. I guess. I can get along ok on it....
Senior: We need a new training record officer.
Me: (OH GOD! THE MOST HATED COLLATERAL EVER) Oh...Um. Ya. I get it. I have a new collateral?
Senior: Well, it would be great for your fitrep. You'd get to meet all your shipmates better. Blah blah blah.
Me: Ya, ya. Spare me the sell. I get it. I'll do it.
(I'll just grab my ankles and smile because I'm the only ensign on wave 1, which makes me the lowest officer so I'm the bitch. Yay.)

So, yes. Always stay busy. I haven't even had a chance to start setting this up.

Lesson 3: This base is larger than it looks! I've been to medical twice, NEX twice, dental, the galley, and all over...And for a seabee base, they should have more sidewalks.

lesson 4: Always keep cute glasses because apparently you can't wear contacts in Kuwait. I almost cried today when I heard that. I LOATHE wearing glasses. I could write a book on how much I hate glasses. I won't even get started. But, I have to get some. So, I've got to go to the NEX tomorrow and get some glasses. No navy issued ones. They are crooked, fall off my face, and don't thin the lenses.

Lesson 5: keep gadgets charged. That is the only thing keeping me happy. I can text my friends (Jim and mom thank you for being supportive when I started to almost cry today), listen to calming and/or angry music on my ipod, play on my computer, etc. I love electronics. I can't imagine being deployed without them.

Lesson 6: try and keep a positive attitude and keep the bitching away from the enlisted guys. I do my best to try and wait til I'm in our Khaki room to let it out so that our corpsmen don't see our frustration. I don't want them picking up on it too. I want to still be supportive of them and positive so it won't bring them down too.

Something to figure out:
Instruction on wearing backpacks in uniform?
-on the left shoulder only
OR
-both shoulders at the same time

Just the left is killing my back and I've asked two chiefs and they've told me different things. I must look this up.

Well, we're about to go to dinner tonight! Some really good seafood place. Last night we had Japanese. We went to a place where they cooked right in front of you. It was so amazingly good! I wish I had taken pictures. It was a blast.

I should have more free time the rest of the week if anyone has gotten skype. I just got a headset with a microphone! :)

I

1 comment:

Jim and Krys said...

A little tip on looking busy that privates learn pretty quick:

Walk briskly (not necessarily fastly, but fast is good, too).

When you walk lean your body slightly forward. This gives the impression of speed and determination.

Keep your eyes forward in the direction that you are looking, when you pass someone turn your head and stare them straight in the eye. Look fierce!

Carry a clipboard with some random set of papers in them with a pen in obvious sight.

Never let ANYONE see you idling. If you are in your room, your door is locked, windows closed, and lights off.

Note that idling also refers to getting ready to sleep at night. Do not sit up in your bed with your PT shirt/shorts on. You should be buried underneath your covers with as little clothing on as possible. (Hang out a bare leg as proof) If someone enters your room, cease all movement, increase the deepness of your breath and decrease the cadence of your breath.

One last thing, and this one is important. If you see anyone (including that pesky Chief) walking towards you with the intention of assigning you duty (you can see it in the glint of their eyes!). Immediate walk at them in a straight line (most immediate route possible). Come right up to their face and assign THEM duty! If you are not in a position to assign them something, ASK them something that shows that you are on a dedicated task!

i.e.
You: "Chief! I need your input quickly! I've got to head to [insert Building number or location here] to check the status of [insert quickly thought up duty here]. What is the status of the [insert employee designation here: i.e. CBs, Marines, Docs, etc] in that area?"

Chief: "How the fuck should I know?"

You (with incredulous look on your face): "What are paid for man?! That's Fine, I'll take care of it myself!"

Then walk...


Stuns them every time.