I made it to Port Hueneme! We landed at LAX yesterday. I was nervous about the flight because Tanya and Phil took me out the night before and got a little more crazy than I wanted. (I'll put some fun pics up when I feel like it later)
The flight actually wasn't too bad. I slept the ENTIRE way across the US. We landed and started noticing people that were from the hospital in Bethesda. There were 6 of us on the same flight so I just called and had them added to my reservation.
We went by the USO first (which was a LONG trip across the airport, outside, and crossing lots of traffic) to get some grub and relax. I love the USO's. :) There was a nice lady who made us lunch and we had boxes of girl scout cookies right there, internet, tv, magazines, games, etc...
Then, we figured we were having too much fun and should get to camp. We called the shuttle, had a long tour of the LA area, got to learn more about each other, and finally got dropped off at the gate. Yes, the shuttle left us at the gate. Because we had a civilian on the van, the guy said he couldn't drop us off at our building on base. Such crap. We all had to trek the half mile or whatever it was with our seabags. Not fun. I don't mind the weight on my back, but it cuts off circulation to my arms! I had that on my back, and my backpack on my front. We finally got to the place to check in, and then had to deal with one of my corpsmen who had left her phone on the shuttle.
In a way, it's kinda neat being an officer. LTJG Weiss was on my flight so he and I were trying to take care of everyone. We got the cell phone and rides situation taken care of. Then, food. We ordered some pizza and just relaxed. We're in a large berthing room. We broken down by gender and rank, so I'm in a room with female chiefs and officers. (the Khaki room) We have enough space so that no one has to be on the top bunk so we have plenty of storage here.
I'll be here til Sunday morning. Until then, we're mostly doing paperwork and getting our uniforms ready, etc. I can't wait to get to Pendleton and get out of these darn Khakis!
Again, I'll take some pics around here and post them later!
1 comment:
Candi! Looking forward to hearing about all of your experiences!
Post a Comment