Thursday, April 2, 2009

I am a rock, I am an island. And a rock feels no pain. And an island never cries. - Simon and Garfunkel, I Am A Rock

Wednesday night, I picked my mom up from the airport. She flew in to help out with me after my surgery. For a while, I kept telling her I was okay and had friends and she didn't need to come, but I'm really glad she did. I have amazing friends that would all be there if they needed to be, but I just never want to call and put them out.

Thursday morning we headed to the hospital to check in. I got changed and sat in the APU waiting for the OR to call for me. Dr. Dickens came by and checked in. That was nice. I didn't think I'd see any of the docs that day. Tanya came by to check on me on her way into work. Eventually, it was time to head over to the OR. Thankfully, it was nice and warm in the pre-op area. We all got in our beds and got warm blankets. My anesthesiologist and nurse came over and we started going through all the paperwork and getting me ready for the OR. I loved the anesthesiologist. He was pretty cool. He asked me if I drink beer, wine or hard liquor. I asked him, "what are you buying?" haha. He liked that. I told him I drink beer more than anything these days and he told me he was giving me my 12 pack and injected something into my IV. They unlocked the bed and asked me to tell them when I felt something. They pulled the bed away from the wall and I told them I was starting to feel something and that anything I said after that point could not be used against me! I vaguely remember getting in the room and getting strapped down and hooked into all the machines and the face mask on and that's it.

I woke up in the PACU with the nurse poking my toes. I could feel it. I woke up pretty easily. No nausea. No spinning feeling. I drank a whole can of ginger ale and felt pretty good. I got back over to the APU and had to have a lot of help getting to the chair. My legs were starting to hurt pretty bad, but I wanted to wait until I got some food in my stomach to take pain meds. Andrew stopped by to see me after the surgery, which was nice to see him.

After I got changed and my meds were picked up, I was ready to go. My momma wheeled me out to my car and we headed home. It took me a LONG time to get all the way to my apartment from my front door. It hurt really bad and I was going very slow.

I haven't really moved from my sleeper sofa or bed much. Only to go to the bathroom and back. It's feeling better than the first day, but still hurts pretty bad to get up. My calves are very swollen and bruised, but it's expected. I'm just so glad to have this part out of the way. A few weeks from now I hope to be up walking more and eventually running without any pain!

I have some great friends! Thank you all for checking in on me and stopping by!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it went so well and that you are doing better. You're pretty haus for getting both done at the same time. Definitely will be worth it when you can run again.