Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Elvis shaved his head when he went into the army. - Beastie Boys, Johnny Ryall




I've realized....some of my best guy friends shave their heads. huh.......Just figured this out. I wonder if it means something.


Anywho, so I'm back from Cuba. Yes, it was short. That's all everyone kept saying to me at work today. Well, do they not realize we were told it was going to be 3-5 days? It's the Navy's 3 hr tour. I learned a lot and I'm not putting together a RDC (Rapid Deployment Checklist). :) That way, when this happens again, I know everything is taken care of. It went pretty smoothly though this time. Tanya and my parents were a huge help.

Even though we didn't process through a bunch of patients through Cuba, we still saw some and I think to those few, we were important. We were doing what we were told-standing ready. Once the ships arrived, things really slowed down for us. They sent us back, but I'm sure the Comfort personnel will need to be relieved at some point. They are working very hard around the clock. I've come back. I'm getting things in order and I'm ready to go. Whenever. Wherever.

I'm so proud of the military for working together and doing amazing things for Haiti on a moment's notice. I truly believe we are the glue that holds this country together sometimes. I hope I can be used more in the future.

I love Marines. I just have to say that. There were a ton waiting with us in the air terminal in Gitmo to come back. You could tell they were exhausted and probably frustrated, but you would never know it. They were so disciplined and made do with what they had.

I went and got my new Navy camis today. Woo! Three times during that trip people assumed I was enlisted. Urg. I'm so tired of people thinking I'm 17. One enlisted girl started asking me about "our" uniforms, as in, what the enlisted girls wear. Then, I went to get something for my uniform that said "US Navy" and the officers wear it in gold, so I was grabbing the gold one and the lady working there told me I needed the silver one (enlisted). I had to correct her and tell her I was an officer. Then, I asked the tailor to get my name tape and she asked if I was an E-3? No, O-2. Not that I'm snobby about it because I'm not....but sheesh.

Oh, and on the plane on the way home, I was sitting in between two PO 2nd classes and I wasn't in uniform. Well, we talked about jobs, etc and no one understands that nurses are officers. Well, after we had landed I showed him this text that said something about me being an officer and he laughed and then said, "Wait, are you an officer??" haha. I told him yes and then he began to apologize. There wasn't any reason to. He wasn't disrespectful or anything. It was just funny. They all think I'm 17.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you complain about looking young now. Just wait till you're older, you'll like that gift then.

Me? I look old and decrepit. Kristi likes older mean, and so likes me, when I turn 50, I'll look 100. Yay...

Courtney said...

I would get really annoyed with that! There should be big red flashy signs you can wear that say, "shut up, I'm an officer!"