Monday, July 16, 2007

Computer souls, controlled by confusion. - Public Enemy, Crash

I'm doing something I never, ever thought I would do. I'm considering buying a mac.

THERE. I said it. Geez. It feels good to finally come out of the pc closet. Let me explain what made me a pc person and what has made me start turning....

Growing up, I was always used to dad having computer equipment around. Being the fancy electrical engineer, my dad was a computer god to me. He fixed them, built them, and glorified them. PC's. You can't really upgrade or build macs. So, we always had pc's. Just like any small child conforming to their parents views, I always was a pc girl.

"Macs are expensive"
"You can't upgrade them"
"What happens when they get old? You have to buy a whole new setup?"

And then my world came down on me about a year ago when my ex was looking for computers and he was considering a mac. I went to my dad to talk to him about it, and my dad started saying things I never thought he would say!

"Well, they are impressive"

MEH? What to think now? My pc godfather has just said something good about the dark side. I still maintained I would never do it.

Then, I got the crazy itch for a new mp3 player since my rca crapped out on me. I just couldn't find one that lasted. No other mp3 player from 3 years ago is still around. I took a big breath. I was staring at the big blue buildings with yellow letters. "I can do this..." I had done my research at home. Walked in. Pointed to the 30gig black video iPod and clearly stated "I want that one!"
Within 15 minutes I was walking out with an apple product. I've been in love with it ever since.

Now, within the past week my printer (which I just bought last fall and have babied it) has started with error messages and my ipaq had to be factory reset for about the 12th time. I started considering a palm. Then, I got to play on Brit's new iBook. The wheels were slowing down to a grind and all of a sudden they started moving counterclockwise. What was happening? A year ago I hated to even walk down the apple isle at the store. Now, I'm browsing at them online. And odly enough....I feel at peace just looking at them.

Now, I have to say this. My dad has built a great computer for me. I haven't had any problems with it in a while. But, the thing is....what happens when it breaks. He's not here to fix it. When I want an upgrade? He's not here....

In the end I think I just had a bad electronic day and I'm frustrated. I don't think I'll run out and buy a computer. My computer right now is working great. I just had to share my strikingly liberal computer thoughts to the world. And I feel much better.

*****************EDIT
So, after the post, I looked up the printer error code and read about the same problem other people had with the printer. I tried everything, but I couldn't figure out which mechanical piece they were talking about. Some squeegee like thing. ? Who knows. An hour after cleaning and trying to move pieces, I just pushed back what I thought was the part they were talking about... come to find......a bobbypin!!!!!!! How the hell a bobbypin got on the inner parts of my printer, I'll never know....but I learned a lot about my computer and the insides are a lot cleaner now.

Who needs a man? This is why I've become so independent. I like doing things on my own. I feel such a huge sense of accomplishment when I turned it back on and NO error message or blinking lights!

No comments: