Sunday, July 1, 2007

We negotiate with chaos for some sense of satisfaction. - Ani Difranco, Overlap

A little sample of chaos theory. If you want to read up on what that actually means, wikipedia has a great explanation. Well, what I am going to talk about is more/less the butterfly effect of the theory. It's basically saying that even the smallest effect (like a butterfly flapping its wings) can change the course of the future.

Now. For my story. Jim went to Texas Tech and met some of his "nerd" friends in the dorm attached to Gordon Hall (can't remember the name of the dorm...). This group included Brian, Brad, Furry, etc. During this time, Shelley (my best friend from high school) was a freshman living in Gordon. She met Brian and then Brad through a church group I believe. Shelley and Brian hung out a lot for a while and therefore, Shelley met Jim. This was only a one time happening or maybe a couple times. Nothing really came of it. They didn't quite remember each other. When I came out as a freshmen, Shelley introduced me to some of these guys, but I could only really remember Brian. Things progressed and moved on and Shelley eventually stopped hanging out with that group of friends as much. Now, fast forward two years. I started dating someone in the same Marine unit as Jim and consequently, met Jim and Kristi. Kristi and I immediately hit it off and became great friends. Their friendship is one that I KNOW was meant to be. Now, to me, and them, it seems that we should have met 2 years earlier. The question then is....

Were we supposed to meet through Shelley, but because of choices and a small change, God had to improvise and create something else in my life to bring our friendship together?

Theeeeen. I have to ask myself, well...God has it all planned out so he would have known that it would happen like that. That gets into a whole discussion about free will vs. predestination that I'm not sure I feel can write about tonight.

On my flight back to DC today I was thinking about this because my ticket was for the very back of the plane and I was able to change it and bump it up. Well, I then ended up sitting next to a woman who's husband is in the air force and she had a 8 month old litttle boy on her lap and she asked me what I do up in dc and I told her and she informed me that she had her son at NNMC. Crazy. I just wonder how me moving my seat effected me, this lady, the baby, the people that I would have sat next to had I not changed my seat, etc.

Either way, it's interesting to think about how the smallest choices we make each second will forever effect our lives. Just think about that next time you decide to go out or order in...or use a public restroom or wait 'til you get home.

No comments: