Thursday, June 28, 2007

And if you were with me tonight, I'd sing to you just one more time. A song for a heart so big, God wouldn't let it live. ~Here You Me by Jimmy Eat Wr










Here are some pictures of my grandma, nana (great grandma) and me. There's also a black and white one of my grandma and grampa when he was stationed in Japan during WWII. I wish I could have met him, but he died when my dad was 2.
My grandma passed away at noon today. Right before that, my mom and I had gone to lunch and brought some back for my dad. We told him we'd stay with her while he went to eat real fast. Well, she opened her eyes and so I got down close to her to talk to her. I told her about all her friends that were asking about her and that we all loved her and dad was downstairs eating lunch and he'd be back soon, but that he had been there all morning. She kept her eyes open for about 5 minutes. She hasn't really responded, but I hope she understood what I was saying. Then, i looked at the monitor and she was starting to get what looked like atrial fibrillation, where the heart was having a hard time beating, like the electrical impulses were going wackho. I was like, oh crap and told mom to run and get dad. Within about 2 minutes she had gone. I have never been there to watch someone die. It's odd too. Since she's a dnr and no one really comes running. I went over and turned off the monitor and held her hand. I wonder now if when she opened her eyes she saw an angel like in City of Angels. I'd like to hope it was something peaceful like that. I started crying because I felt bad I told dad to go eat and he wasn't there. I didn't want him to feel bad. Well, we said our goodbyes and went home. On the way home, I felt a relief. She was finally at peace and resting. It was hard, but she's a lot happier now. Well, then we had to go get her stuff from the nursing home. That was a cry-fest. All her friends were coming by and crying and it made me start crying and then I couldn't stop. Her roommate, Lucille, was having a really hard time. They had known each other for 8 years and in a way she didn't get to say goodbye. But, I told Lucille that I told grandma this morning that she was thinking of her. Lucille kept most of her clothes to wear them and remember her by. We were all trying to celebrate her being able to be in heaven, but I seriously couldn't stop tearing up. I am not a big crying kind of person unless I'm alone so I was getting frustrated. Then, we came home and I fell asleep. I went to see Shelley and told her everything and started crying....yet again. Geeeeez. Well, it doesn't help that I'm all hormonal right now anyway. I'm really going to miss her. She was a sweet lady and I know I meant the world to her. I just hope that I brought her happiness. I'm so glad I was here to be with her and my family. I won't make it to the funeral, because it'll be in Houston next week and i fly back Sunday, but I was able to say goodbye and I feel okay about it. I'm sure she understands.
I'll always remember our "adventures", grandma.

1 comment:

Tess said...

Candi, this was a really sweet tribute to your grandma.