Since it's memorial weekend, I figured I'd talk about how all my friends and I are off getting to experience the "adventure" side of the Navy.
A lot has changed for all of us since we graduated Romeo class in October of 2006! Some of my close friends are now LTJG's!! I'll no longer be Ensign Kumpunen on August 12th! I'll get to say LTJG Kumpunen. Weeeeird. And the pay jump is pretty significant for this one. :) Plus, I'll be on deployment, so even more ways to save some money. I know there was a reason I didn't get on those earlier deployments like I wanted to. God always has that plan ready.
In the past month or so, many of my friends have started off on their experiences:
LTJG Meyer (my roommie from OIS): She got last minute orders to report to Bremerton, Washington (outside Seattle) and be stationed on a ship. Can't remember which carrier. My bad. Anywho, she had a cross country journey to Washington. So fun to see the pictures. Since she reported to the ship, she's been sent to San Diego to do additional training. Lucky girl. I know it's a stressful situation being brand new on a carrier! She has a lot to do as an officer and I know she'll be great and I think she's enjoying it, but kinda scary. She's an industrial hygienist, so she's does inspections all over, etc. It's kinda neat hearing about her job.
LTJG Smith (3w nurse nnmc): She got orders to the USNS Mercy!!! I'm so jealous! She flew out to San Diego and met them in Guam. The hospital ship is doing a humanitarian mission all over the Pacific. They will see some amazing things and places. Here's a link to the captain's blog: http://mercycaptain.blogspot.com/. He's a civilian, but you still understand.
ENS Conrad (5w nurse nnmc): Brit got orders to Djibouti, Africa! She's stationed there at a military clinic for a lot of the special forces, etc. It's close by Somalia. She got to spend some time in Cali also and even took a few days to Vegas when they had liberty. I hope I get to do that too! Here's her blog: http://web.mac.com/nursbrit/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html
Me (5c nurse nnmc): I get to leave for Kuwait in less than a month!!! I go on leave the 2nd of June and I'll fly back to DC on the 20th, only to leave for training in Cali on the 22nd. Then, I should be in Kuwait mid July. I am so excited. You have no idea. Obviously, you know my blog. haha.
Anywho, it's so amazing to see all of my friends and I spreading our Navy wings and getting out in the fleet! For a long time I just wanted to feel what it would be like to be away from Bethesda. It's not the same experience here. Very brass. Lots of little stuff to worry about. I hear anywhere else in the fleet, you can kick back more and have a ton of fun. That's just what I'm wanting to do! I love getting emails from all these girls and telling me the amazing things they are doing these days and all the new things they are learning about field medicine, humanitarian missions, shipboard life, training, etc. Now my friends and I are literally all around the world! This is so awesome. This seriously was the best decision I ever made and I only wish some of my other friends back home could join in!
Have a happy and safe memorial day!
3 comments:
Hehe, you should keep working Jim to get him to be an officer so we can go to Guam together ;)!
It's pretty ridiculous how hard it is to find really good friends now... I miss you!
awww, thanks Kristi! I agree! I miss having you guys near. It's just not the same.
.... hmm.... We'll see.... Damned adventure itch still hasn't been scratched....
Post a Comment