Thursday, September 20, 2007
Crime is increasing, trigger happy policing. Panic is spreading, God knows where we're heading. - Marvin Gaye, Inner City Blues
I was actually looking for the Saturn Commercial "Rethink Excess". I love it. I was talking to one of my good friends today and we were just discussing how our country's priorities have gotten all f-ed up. These days it's more important to drive the expensive car than be at home and teach your child to ride a bike. I heard a conversation on the morning radio show I listen to that was saying it was better for both parents to work and provide a nice home and future for their children and pay for a nanny or day care. I don't see that. What has happened to our country? Work to buy your kids more things....so that when they grow up, they will always want more? I'm going through this right now myself. I see girls in magazines and want new clothes. I play with iphones and instantly have to have one. I see homes in Pottery Barn and want a designer living room suite. I see fast, hot cars and want a new one.
Everything I really need right now I already have! Since the beginning of this month, I have really questioned myself before buying things. I do actually need a real couch and living room furniture, so instead of spending my money on little things here and there that I need, I'm saving it up. My friends told me about a sale at Old Navy. I knew if I went I would end up spending too much. I have enough clothes as it is. So, I didn't go. I feel so good about that decision.
Back to my conversation with my friend. It all came up because we're looking around and seeing so many unhappy people. I won't go into details, but I know so many people who need or are looking to start on medication for anxiety or depression. It seems working has just taken over everyone's life and we live under so much pressure to be the best and have the best that when we don't get it, we don't know how to be comfortable.
I'm going through a big change phase. I'm starting to eat more healthy. I stopped smoking at work again. I had gotten in the habit of going on smoke breaks with my coworkers. That's done. I'm back to working out. I'm setting up my investment fund for retirement. I'm just rethinking what I want my life to be like. I'm happy with what I have. I just have to remind myself sometimes of that fact. It's really brought a change in how I feel. I think our country needs a huge wake up call. We need to take care of each other. Look out for our coworkers. Quit trying to one-up each other.
I've decided my happy pill will be my multivitamin.
Oh, one more thing I have to vent about. This new show "Gossip Girl". Please. I'm already sick of seeing Paris and Nicole run around and spend money everywhere while doing nothing. I don't need to see a tv show about it. Why does our country find this entertaining??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment