Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I go for all the belles, except the wedding kind. - Elvis Presley, Smorgasbord

Wow. Everything is all about weddings...and it's not even mine. I looked at my list of friends on facebook today and 4 out of the 6 pictures included girls in wedding dresses or hands freshly adorned with engagement rings. Weird.

I do like it when it's my friend though and I know she's happy and ready for it. I enjoy being able to look at the flowers and the dresses, etc. I had torn my bride magazines to shreds after I realized that it wasn't going to happen. I cursed theknot.com. I nearly threw up at the talk of weddings. But, now. It's kinda fun. I get to talk about what I thought was pretty and fun without having to stress about it being mine.

I've been on the opposite shift as everyone lately, so I've been getting comfortable doing things by myself. Going to movies, reading in coffee shops, walking around town, eating out. This morning, after PT and running errands around work, I stopped at La Madeline's for breakfast. I sat there enjoying my quiche florentine and my hazlenut latte, watching the rain fall outside. It was relaxing and peaceful. I haven't had many moments like that lately. I pulled out my book and began to read. Suddenly I was back to the seventeenth century hearing Thomas Jefferson speak about religion in this country...and then I was at Jamestown learning about the difference between Quakers vs Puritans and Anglicans. And then....what is that sound? "aaaahhhhhhhhh".....then silence. Noises from the cafe continue like static on a tv....ah...back to my world....."aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh"......i look up, one eyebrow raising as I look behind me. A mother with her two children are a few tables back and the youngest, I'm guessing about 2, are having breakfast. It gets quiet again and I dive back into early Virginia. "Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh".....Nostrils flaring, I turn around and look again. The mother never looks up. This continues for about 10 more minutes until they get up to leave. I probably should have just gone and said something, but what could she have done? He wasn't crying....just probably learning how to express sound from his mouth and was excited by this. I was not. I have grown this utter distain for children lately. It bothers me when, on the rare occasion, they get in my way on the metro....or run in circles around me at the grocery store. I shutter when I see parents with their children running around the hospitals for appts and the kids are acting up and running up and down escalators, while the parents are screaming.

I used to absolutely love children. And at times, still do. But, I am just not at the stage right now where I could ever imagine having one of my own. It's a good thing, I guess. I know I will get back into that stage and want badly for my own baby...but right now I'm in a selfish phase. It's a fun stage.

One more thing. My tv has been broken since last Thursday. This stinks. The good thing, it's forcing me to get out more and start reading all the books I have bought recently.

No comments: