Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Don't miss understand me, I'm not getting soft, all I want is a couple days off. - Huey Lewis, Couple Days Off

Pfewww....EMF Kuwait has been a'hopin.

Yesterday, I went to the casualty receiving area (ER...also shortened to casrec). The ward was very busy, but LTjg M said he had it all so I could go learn more over there. I did.

The beginning of the shift was busy, and we had to admit 3 people right off the bat....but then, the rest was very slow. Until the end of the shift. Three guys came bursting in carrying a guy totally passed out. He was a heat casualty. They had put him on ice on the way in to get his temp down, so he was all the way down to 97 degrees. When he started to wake up, he was freezing. I don't blame him. Anywho, we did the whole thing. Labs, oxygen, ekg, IV, fluids....it was kinda neat to see how it all went together. I still hate not knowing where everything is!

That brings me to today. So, there are normally 3-4 nurses per shift to split between the ward and the casrec. One of our nurses on our shift was put inpatient due to bad cellulits that would not resolve...and the other one was scheduled off today. That would mean it would just be me and another LTjg.We have about 10 people on the ward including 5 pretty sick patients. Yuck. I really don't want to do all that by my lonesome. I probably could and they would all survive, but it would not be pleasant. I feel bad they have to call someone in....

I'm starting to get in a routine here in zone 6. After work, I usually hit up the starbucks and then head to the community center to make phone calls, check emails, and play some pool. Then, in the morning, I get up, again go to the community center for the same things and then eat lunch, shower and go to work. It already feels like groundhog day. I can't get over working every day! That's all I ever feel like I do. The past det keeps saying it will slow down and we'll have a lot of time off with nothing to do. I have yet to see how that will ever happen.

It smells like something died in our tent. We can't figure it out....I'm kinda scared to find whatever it is.

I talked to friends back at 5 center. More people are leaving and PCSing. I'll get back and so many people will be gone. :(

Not much else right now. The phones were stupid last night and I couldn't get a line out! Bah! I'll try again tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sweetie! I LOVE reading your blog and learning what you do each day. Its hard to get used to not being able to pick up the phone and talking to you when I feel like it or hearing from you. I keep telling myself that it's not going to be this way forever. I'll get the package off as soon as I find a "flat rate box". Found out packages to military personnel overseas go faster and cheaper in "flat rate boxes" so I ordered some supplies. will be here in 7 to 10 days. I love you, miss you and think of you often. Mom

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes... You're either doing nothing at all and are bored out of your mind, or everything is happening at once and all you want is a break! :) hehehehe

Great news is, you're doing this as an Ensign. When you get back stateside, you're knowledge level will be above and beyond that of those who have not been over. Great experience.

Probably the hardest thing we had to deal with, and you may (or may not) find this to be the case, was the lack of benchmarks. That is, the lack of major events to signify achievement and progress. Your mention of groundhog day brings this to mind. Once you get in that routine, it is a curse and a blessing. While on one hand, you begin to run like clockwork - efficient and knowledgeable, but on the other hand, it can drag out and seem like an eternity. All that I can offer is find interesting ways to break up and use your off time. We can send out music CDs, movies, or custom made DVDs if you want. I know the PX there will carry a lot, but if you find something that you can't get, let us know.

I've got my phone on me (as much as that is a guarantee... the thing turns off on a whim) and so does Kristi. We don't care what time it is on our side, you call. You very well may just hear us mumbling in our sleep, but, damnit, that's fine! Alrighty, have fun and keep pounding water!