Monday, July 7, 2008

The wonderful world of technology, napalm, hydrogen bombs, biological warfare. - The Kinks, 20th Century Man






So, we're now at Camp Pendleton by San Diego. This place is huge, but it's pretty cool because you hear Marines shooting artillery, helicopters flying over, and get to run around like we're in the real military. :) We've done field navigation (while the three of us girls entertained our guide), mopp gear (for gas attacks) training, the gas chamber, M9 quals, litter carry and evacuation procedures, and convoy training. Then, a lot of powerpoint briefs.

We're in seahuts, which aren't too bad. The cot is kinda hurting my back, but I'm just glad i can sleep now without coughing all night long.

The gas chamber was horrible. I wanted to rip off my skin and gouge my eyes out with rusty spoons.

Mopp gear is hot, but tolerable. I was excited to see how I can drink with my canteen while I still have the mask on. We had all been wondering what that opening was in our canteen. We got issued our kevlar. Oh dear jebus. That stuff is heavy and they want it on the top of our seabag because we will have to wear it when we land at the airport in kuwait.

I got to be the vehicle commander for our convoy training because I am the only Ensign here. hehe. I got to yell for all the commanders to jump off the truck when we got hit. I had a blast. I felt like Private Benjamin because my helmet wouldn't fit over my bun and I didn't have time to adjust it, so it kept falling on my face when I'd hit the ground and roll around. Then, it would smash my oakleys onto the tip of my nose and I couldn't see to order all my "troops" around. I had sooo much fun. I should have been an infantry officer or something. This is what I've always wanted to do. Now, granted. It's not the real stuff and it would be a completely different experience if I was actually being shot at.

check out my other photo albums at:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2247207&l=51999&id=16706036
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2247213&l=0b48f&id=16706036

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait, what?! Having fun during training? I remember doing a lot of similar training as you were, but I don't remember anything fun about it. A lot of people yelling at me though... I remember that much.... I joined the wrong service, didn't I? :)