A few months ago I ran into a Chaplain that I knew from Officer Indoc. He later invited me to be his guest at the Marine Corps Birthday ball at the US Embassy in Kuwait City.
I got to go! Not only that...but my CO signed my memo stating that I could participate in the open bar! The down side. For military, the dress was our camis. All the civilian women were wearing beautiful dresses. But, alas.
I ran home from work today, showered and cleaned up real nice. Chaplain picked me up and we grabbed my weapon and then sbux before heading off base. We got to the Embassy and they had a cocktail hour at first. I got to meet all sorts of big wigs and important people. For the civilians that live here, this is THE event of the year. I met so many people that worked for Chevron. It was strange....why a ton of people from Chevron would be at the USMC ball? I got nothing. I also saw some of the navy nurses I knew from my detachments that were sent to different camps.
I met one woman who graduated from Texas Tech's law school back in the day so we talked about that for a while. Who would have known??
Tons of enlisted and higher up officers, but like always, barely any junior officers to meet and greet with. There were a couple. The guys that Chaplain knew were pretty cool and it was neat to be a navy person invited.
I've been to 2 Marine Corps balls in the past, but I was with enlisted guys and I was not in the military. This was totally different! Almost not as fun, but I felt more honor out of it. This time I actually stood at attention when they played our national anthem, had colors, played Anchors Aweigh and Marine Corps Hymn. Very cool.
Good dinner. Good dancing. I had beer! (The first time since July) It was a really great night. I almost felt like I wasn't even in Kuwait...had it not been for me wearing camis. This is going to be a night I will remember for a long time.
Semper Fi and happy birthday Marines! (a little early birthday wish)
Check out more pictures HERE.
1 comment:
very cool! Krys and I are going next week. First time I'm going to the ball with a tux instead of my blues (I wanted to keep my beard! hehe).
Glad you got to hang out with Marines and glad you got to stand at attention during those hymns. I've gotta run, but I'll send you an email later.
Oh, by the way, perfect song pick for your title. That's one of Kristi's favorites :)
Post a Comment