Oh my good lord! We did it! I took some ambien and slept from 4pm-midnight, then woke up and couldn't sleep any more. I "decorated" a fellow nurses' room, who happens to be a Texas alumn. Then, grabbed my monster energy drinks, got dressed in all my Texas Tech stuff and went to the hospital to set up on the quarter deck to watch the game! My stomach was in knots the entire time! Both my friend and I hung our flags up and both prayed God would smile on our teams. I just knew it. It's our time to show the nation what we are capable of!
-first intercollegiate football game: October 3, 1925
-1932, the program joined the Border Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Five years later, the team won its first conference championship and was invited to the Sun Bowl
-1960, Texas Tech was admitted to the Southwest Conference (SWC). The Red Raiders won conference co-championships in 1976 and 1994.[7] The team remained in the SWC until the conference ceased operations 1996. Following the dissolution of the SWC, the university became a charter member of the Big 12 Conference
-The team has the distinction of being the only one in the Big 12 to have a winning season each year since the conference was created in 1996.
-On November 1, 2008, the Red Raiders defeated long time rivals Texas Longhorns in an upset 39-33 Texas Tech; the historical game marked the Red Raiders' 500th win and is currently deemed the "biggest game in Texas Tech History."
(That was all taken from Wikipedia. They already amended it to include the game the other night. Sweet.)
Everyone just jumps on whoever is hot at the time. Everyone would cheer for UT just because the name was out there. So many of the guys that gave me a hard time all week leading up to the game had NO idea what our team was like. They saw it Saturday night. It was great to see their faces. We came out of no where for them. Best feeling in the world.
I seriously can't explain my happiness for the city and school. It's so exciting to be part of a school who is just getting to their prime. Everyone else has had their time. It's our turn!
I really hope we can continue with the next two games. Oklahoma State will be a tough game this week and then we have a bye and then OU. If we can hold out and play the same way with those two teams, this will be the most amazing season of football!
Man, my heart was right there with all the thousands and thousands of black shirt students that ran on the field....3 times...and with the hearts of all Red Raiders watching in bars, at Victory Park in Dallas, overseas locations, deployed military camps. (haha!) When Crabtree caught that pass my heart stopped and I fell down in front of the tv on my knees. Simply amazing.
And the victory bells will ring out!
2 comments:
Ohhhh man... !!! Kristi came up to Lubbock and we didn't dare try to wait in line with her foot still in a boot. The Traffic on Thursday and Friday were crazy! UT fans flooded Lubbock.
We went out to get Tai food at Tai Tai's and the owner had his big screen TV (which is usually tuned into Thailand music programs...) tuned to ABC watching the game. There weren't many people at the restraunt, but me and him were cheering when we got first blood with that saftey.
Kristi and I headed over to McGilligullies and that bar was packed. They had wide screen and big screen TVs in a 360 degree arc of the entire huge room. Most were Tech fans, but there was a small hardcore following of UT fans.
I can't tell you how much we screamed, and all throughout the game. That last three minutes were a heartache! My chest was on fire! When UT finally scored their goal that got them in the lead, I nearly died (but knew we had 2 more minutes.. we could do... I never gave up faith!). A very large UT fan went up and down and was yelling in our faces. When we scored that amazing shot at the end, that man kinda disappeared! hahahaha!
And then there was the final second, which we all calmed down to watch, and my heart siezed up again... but we won... its gonna be a good week.
WE DOMINATED UT!!!! EAT IT TEXAS FANS!!!!
Oh, I'm such a poor sport :). But that game was AMAZING.
I actually missed the last play because every one in the bar had jumped up and I couldn't see the TV. I also missed the first two play-backs...but then Jimmy lifted me up a bit and I had my own personal party about two minutes after we made that touchdown :)! Whee!!!!
The whole time I kept thinking about how you must be feeling, and how much fun you'd have being the lone Tech fan :). I cheered extra hard that you wouldn't have to wear the UT stuff on your facebook.
Loves ya gal! Miss ya!! SOOOO glad you got to see the game!!!
Post a Comment